Singer Sewing Machine Guides - Threading your machine
How to thread the top of a machine varies from machine model to machine model. It’s best to check your machine instruction manual for specific details for your specific machine. However, there are some general tips to keep in mind when threading the top of your machine.
- Always, always raise the presser foot lifter before you start threading the machine.
- Make sure the thread is properly placed in the take-up lever of the machine.
- Use a spool cap to help prevent the thread from getting caught on any irregularities that might be on the thread spool itself. If your machine model comes with multiple sizes of spool caps, use the spool cap that most closely fits the size of the thread spool being used.
- Make sure that you are using the correct size and style of the needle for the fabric you are sewing. The wrong size or style of needle can cause your thread to shred or break.
General Threading Guide (most models)
1. Turn power off.
2. Raise needle to its highest position by rotating the hand wheel towards you.
3. Raise presser foot.
4a. Horizontal threading - place spool of thread on spool pin and slide spool pin holder/cap firmly over the rim of spool to prevent the thread from tangling.
4b. Vertical threading - raise spool pin and place felt and thread onto spool pin.
5. Lead thread passing it first through the lower slot on the underside of the thread guide. Next through the upper slot, leading the thread over and around to the right. Pull thread into thread guide.
6a. Pass the thread through the second thread guide by leading the thread to the right and under the guide, inserting it from the bottom over the top.
6b. Holding thread ends in each hand snap thread into upper thread guide.
7a. Lead the thread down and around the tension mechanism. Hold the spool with your right hand lightly and pull the thread up with your left hand allowing the thread to slip into the tension discs.
7b. Following arrows, guide thread down into threading channel making sure the thread is inserted in the tension discs (2).
8. Thread take-up lever eye. (Take-up lever is slotted for easier threading). Pull down 6"-8" of the thread.
9. Pull the thread through thread guide(s) above the needle.
10. Thread needle from front to back.